In today’s modern technological world cyber security and information security play a vital role in every organization.
Cyber security refers to protecting against attacks in cyberspace such as data storage sources, devices, etc.
It also deals with cybercrimes, cyber frauds, and law enforcement. Information security helps in protecting unauthorized prevention of data at the time of transferring it from one place to another.
Both the terms cyber security and information security are related to each other. They are very much important in securing all kinds of valuable data.
Cyber security and information security both are important for protecting a company's data from potential threats. However, there are some differences between these two terms which are as follows:-
- Cyber security helps in protecting data in cyberspace while the main purpose of information security helps to secure avenues to protect data. Cyber security only protects digital data whereas information security's main aim is to keep data secure in any form.
- Cyber security protects all kinds of things in the cyber area whereas Information security is only for the information in all areas.
- According to NIST, Cyber security is the ability to protect or defend the use of cyberspace from cyber attacks whereas Information security is defined as protecting information systems from unauthorized access, use, disclosure, and destruction.
- Cyber security can be applied to digital information whereas information security is applied to digital as well as physical information.
- Information security mainly focuses on information assets such as integrity, confidentiality, and availability. Cyber security deals with protecting all kinds of social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, WhatsApp, and personal details.
- Cyber security deals with all kinds of cyber threats such as phishing, baiting, data breach, etc whereas Information security deals with all sorts of threats to make sure proper security protocols are in space.
- Cyber security authorizes all the data using encryption whereas Information security takes compliance and policies.
- The scope of information security is IT equipment, including laptops, computers, servers, storage systems, networks, and mobile IoT devices such as smartphones and tablets. Information security is mainly concerned with protecting information wherever it is held.
- The scope of information security is wider than cyber security. Information security includes all kinds of data such as information such as desks, filing cabinets, and also in IT systems.
- Cyber security and Information security also differ in terms of protecting the value of data. Cyber security safeguards all organizations' commercial information and protect the IT solutions from digital hacking activities whereas the main aim of information security is to protect the value of a company’s information assets from all kinds of threats and attacks.
- These two also differ in terms of threats. Cyber security is concerned with cyber threats whereas Information security is concerned with all kinds of threats.
- Both of these terms also differ from each other on the basis of focus. Information security mainly focuses on implementing policies and all kinds of procedures to protect the confidentiality and availability of information whereas Cyber security focuses on establishing protection from digital threats.
- Cyber security professionals are generally concerned with preventing all kinds of active threats like viruses and hacking attempts. Information security professionals are mainly concerned with the protection of policies and organizational roles. They try to ensure the integrity and confidentiality of information in their organization.
Cyber security and information security are different from each other on many points but both of them are very essential components of every organization. They protect the biggest assets